07 August 2011

Blackberry Coconut Milk Ice Cream in a Bag!

How did I not know you could make ice cream in a bag? I have no idea, but it was delicious! I was not sure how it would work out being vegan and using coconut milk instead of cream, but we thought we'd give it a go.
 

Armed with two sandwich bags filled with a tablespoon each of sugar, we went out and picked some fresh, juicy blackberries from our yard. We threw them in with the sugar and Kaia happily smooshed them all together.
 

 To that we added a teaspoon of vanilla and half a can of coconut milk to each bag, and Kaia smooshed those all together, too. We put each mixture into a large bag half filled with ice and perhaps a 1/3 Cup of salt, and Kaia shook, danced, and jumped with it for several minutes. After that, she proclaimed it too cold, and I shook the bag for a few more minutes.
 

We rinsed the salt off the bags and opened them up. Oh, what pretty ice cream, and oh! Was it good! We ate one bag and put the other in the freezer for another day. I wonder how you could do this without using plastic bags? I think the mixture at least could go in a glass jar, but I'm at a loss when it comes to the ice. If anyone knows, please share! Kaia wants to make more (of course!) and I would rather not do it in plastic.

7 comments:

  1. you could use like a 5 or 10 gallon bucket with a snap lid, and put your big bag of ice cream mixture in there. then roll it up and down a hill or your driveway. like those cheap cement mixers.
    or you could go to an antique shop and buy an old ice cream machine with the crank handle for pretty cheap too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that's a great idea! Someone else suggested using a coffee can for the mixture, so maybe I could combine the coffee can and bucket idea. We'll have to try it now. :D

    I would love a hand crank ice cream maker, my mother has one and we always adored it as kids. I haven't seen one at any thrift or antique stores yet, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. MMMM! Yummy! Get you an ice cream maker, mama! I think that this is the only logical step! And then you can make all sorts of yummy creations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't have milk and I miss ice cream. I've never had coconut milk. How does it taste?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, it's amazing, I would definitely recommend giving it a try. Coconut milk gives the ice cream a rich creaminess that you just don't find in soy or rice milk ice cream. This method only takes a few minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow this is dangerously delicious and easy! I tried it with just coconut milk and sucanut. Incredible! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you made it and liked it!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I adore feedback! <3